Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sugar and Spice Snack Mix



 Orange spiced almonds, salted caramel pretzels, honey-kissed cereal and a melted cinnamon chip drizzle--This is not your average snack mix.

This mix came about because of a peanut allergy. I was helping out with a friend's baby shower this weekend, and after purchasing some peanut butter M&Ms to put in treat cups, I remembered the host has a child with a peanut allergy in her house. Oops--I needed to fill those little cups with something else. So I perused my pantry. 



I had a full bag of Snyder's Salted Caramel Pretzel Pieces. These are pretty amazing on their own, but one bag wasn't enough for my needs, so I decided to make a mix.

I also had some raw almonds, Honey Nut Chex cereal, as well as a bag of cinnamon chips in my freezer. Eureka! I had a plan!

I micro-cooked the almonds with orange flavoring and zest, butter, spices and brown sugar. While those were cooling, I mixed everything else but the chips in a large bowl, then added the cooled almonds.  I laid  all this out on a Silpat-lined cookie sheet, then drizzled it with melted cinnamon chips. Perfect!   


Sugar and Spice Snack Mix
Makes 8 cups

Ingredients: 

 2 cups Orange Spiced Almonds (recipe below)
1 (10 oz) bag Salted Caramel Pretzel Pieces 
4 cups Honey Nut Chex (or generic)
1 cup cinnamon baking chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or shortening)

Directions:

1. Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl, then spread on wax-paper or a silicon mat. I put my mat on a baking sheet to contain it.
2. In a microwave safe dish, melt cinnamon chips on medium heat for 1 minute. Stir, then add coconut oil and heat in 30 sec intervals until smooth. 
3.  Using a spoon, drizzle melted cinnamon chips over dry mixture. Let cool, then break up to serve. 



Orange Spiced Almonds

Ingredients:

2.5 cups raw almonds
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2-1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
1 tablespoon water


Directions:

1.  In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter just until mostly melted. Add rest of ingredients and microwave on high, uncovered 3-4 minutes, stirring after each minute. 
2. Spread hot spiced nuts on wax paper to cool. 



14 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I could go for one of those cups right snack! What a great sweet/salty treat!
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could snack on this ;) I've been trying to come up with some that are sweet free...but this looks good and hey there's nuts and chex...that's good for ya right?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delightful! I might have to make that next time I have to bring a snack to a party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I've been looking around for ideas for snacks to have over the holidays and this will be a hit. I love your presentation of the mix in the individual cups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything salted caramel is a win in my book. This is such a great Fall snack idea. Thanks for sharing it with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so yummy! I may have to make some for our Halloween party! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday party last week. I look forward to seeing what you link up again this week. Hope you'll be there!

    Have an awesome week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like the perfect fall snack! I am going to have to make it for my daughters kindergarten class!! Thanks for linking up at Totally Terrific Tuesday. Make sure you come back Monday night at 10pm to link up any new posts!! http://www.liverandomlysimple.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks outstanding, Kelly! I'm stopping by from Busy Monday & just had to Tweet this recipe so I'll be able to find it later. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing, can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds amazing. You just have to love the sweet and salty combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great twist on party mix! I'll have to try it! Thanks for linking up to last week's Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party. I have pinned your post to the Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look pretty darned amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete