Monday, June 9, 2014

Patriotic Strawberry Bread




This is, in all humility ;), some of the yummiest bread you will ever eat. 
It is really more of a cake. In fact, next time I make it, I think it will be in a tube pan so I'm not deceiving anyone. 

And with the Fourth of July just around the corner, you need this bread. It is super-duper moist, strawberry (so very appropriate for Summertime), 
AND it's patriotic to boot! 

I made this in much the same way I did my Bunny in the Carrot Patch Bread from Easter-time.  I began with a delicious pound cake based on a recipe from Divas Can Cook.

Here is my version. It makes 2 large loaves or 1 tube cake. It can be halved to make one large loaf. 

Whipping Cream Pound Cake

3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugar until well combined (about 5 minutes)
2. Add the eggs one at a time and mix completely after each egg.
3. Alternate adding the flour and whipping cream, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
4. Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans. 
5. Spoon the batter into the pan.
6. Place into a cold oven on the middle rack and turn the oven to 325°.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 5-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
8. Let cake cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing to finish cooling on a cooling rack.

While pound cakes are cooling, make your strawberry bread recipe: 

Strawberry Jello Bread

3 cups flour (I used half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large package strawberry Jello
4 large eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pint of fresh strawberries, processed in food processor

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans.
2. Stir together all dry ingredients except sugar in a large bowl.
3. In a mixer bowl, beat eggs well. Add oil, sugar and vanilla. 
4. Mix dry ingredients into wet.
5. Mix in strawberries.

Now your strawberry bread batter is ready. Set it aside. 


Here is one of the pound cake loaves unbaked. No need to pre-heat for this one; it starts in a cold oven.

Once the pound cake is finished and cooled a bit. Remove it from the pan and let it cool a while longer. Then slice it into pieces the width of your star cookie cutter. Cut a star out of each piece. Save your discarded pound cake to use in a trifle later. I froze mine. 

This picture is a bit misleading. These were the first two loaves I made, and I learned a lesson on them, then made another the right way (but forgot to photograph this step). The stars need to sit on top of a layer of strawberry batter. So spoon a layer of strawberry batter into your prepared pans, THEN place the stars right next to each other standing up in pans, as shown. 

Carefully spoon batter around the stars to cover them.

Put the loaves into a 325° oven.  Bake 50-55 minutes.

It looks delicious just like this, and there is no sign that a surprise awaits inside. :)

Surprise! Happy Independence Day!

This post was featured on:
Weekend Recipe Link Up Party



This post is partying at: 

Yesterfood



Mandy's Recipe Box


WW Square 250
Put A Bird On It

Say G'Day Saturday


My Pinterventures

CraftyAllie

14 comments:

  1. Soooooo cute, and it looks delicious! What a great job you did on this- so glad you shared it with us at Treasure Box Tuesday! I have pinned and will share it on FB this afternoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea!! I love this! I never would have guessed you used cookie cutters to get the shape in the middle... I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from The Weekend re-Treat. The star looks great and stands out. This is also making me very hungry. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try one of these kinds of cake. Such talent :)

    Thanks for sharing. PInning it to my 4th board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super cute (and yummy) cake. Great idea!

    Would love you to share at our Marvelous Monday link party on Smart Party Planning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited to be a part of your roundup!

      Delete
  8. How fun. My kids would totally get a kick out of this. Pinned. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete